This page will reveal several ways you and your family can stay safe while browsing the internet from your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
Top cyber security precautions you should take when you're next online
More people than ever before are spending longer periods online from their preferred devices, and there are also more attacks from hackers than ever before.
This is why you should always take several precautions to protect yourself from scammers, hackers and other bad people.
They include the following:
- Always protect your password and never reveal it to anyone. Never save your password on a shared computer, and always try to create a lengthy password with at least ten characters. Try not to make your password easy to guess, and use numbers, letters, and symbols.
- If you want to use/turn on the password manager, make sure it's from a trusted password manager service.
- Change your passwords at least once or twice per year.
- Only ever install the latest software/programs/apps from verified publishers, and then remember to stay on top of the latest updates.
- To better protect your online accounts, it would be a good idea to turn on 2-step verification.
- If you are looking to sign up to an online casino, NEVER sign up to an unlicensed website. Only ever sign up to a licensed casino that's controlled by a renowned operator with a proven track record and solid reputation.
- Regularly backup your important files, videos and images either onto a secure cloud-based server or external hard drive.
- Think twice before clicking/tapping on certain files and opening them. Harmful files can damage your device and steal private/personal information and any digital currency you may have stored in your accounts. In other words, never download suspicious-looking files.
- Frequently check your bank statements and credit reports to check your accounts haven't been compromised in any way.
- Subscribe to a trusted antivirus and always have it switched on when surfing the net.
- Use a VPN (Virtual Private Network), which is designed to protect your internet connection and privacy online.
- Remember that if a website looks dodgy, the chances are that it probably is.
What are the best VPNs and the best mobile phone and desktop computer antivirus software in 2023?
If you are looking for a trustworthy antivirus program in 2023, some of the best are McAfee Total Protection, Microsoft Defender, AVG Free, Norton 360 Deluxe, and Bitdefender Total Security.
If you're looking for a VPN service in 2023 that won't let you down, some of the most reliable include the Norton Secure VPN, IPVanish, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN, Altas VPN, Ivacy, ProtonVPN, and PureVPN, to name just a few.
You must also be careful when chatting with people online because not everyone can be trusted. Never reveal too many personal details about yourself, and don't ever give anyone access to your financial accounts. If you can remember some of these important tips when you next go online from your smartphone, tablet or PC, you will be much better protected and will have less to worry about.