Unfortunately, today the entire huge market of open vacancies accounts for a meagre percentage of highly qualified specialists. Hiring React Native developers is not a difficult task, but it is difficult for employers to immediately understand who is in front of them - a beginner or a specialist. That is why we want to consider today how to discern a real pro among contractors, assessing their ability to own skills and tools.
How to identify an experienced React Native candidate?
You can assess the professionalism of a candidate using soft and hard skills.
Soft skills include general skills that are not directly related to React Native:
- Communication - regardless of the format of work, it is important that the candidate is able to communicate with his colleagues, ask for help at the time and can provide it to others, and also be able to work for the benefit of the whole team.
- Communication channels - if an employee is in a different time zone, he must connect to communicate with the team at the right time, using the communication channels necessary for the company.
- Productive time management. If you need an outsourced project player or a team member, he must be able to use time correctly.
- Ability to solve problems. In the development world, they happen often, it is important that the employee is able to admit mistakes and correct them in a timely manner.
- Ability to work in a company. Under whatever conditions you hire a developer, he must understand your company, study its needs and work within the framework of the corporate culture.
- Feedback. It is very important to know the opinion of your work, so ask your new employee to leave a few words about cooperation with the company after the completion of the project or after a while after hiring.
- Responsiveness. Technology does not stand still, it is important that employees keep up with their pace and explore new opportunities. This requires desire and action, otherwise, the specialist risks losing relevance.
- Correct assessment of opportunities. The developer must clearly define the deadlines for the tasks assigned and comply with them.
The skill of resistance to stress is also important, the employee must be ready for urgent actions, problems with development, edits, and other force majeure situations, while remaining reasonable and calm.
Hard skills include all the technical aspects of the React Native developer profession:
- Expertise in React, especially in component lifecycle and state, virtual DOM, etc;
- Knowledge of React Native architecture to find bugs in a timely manner;
- Ability to write clean, understandable, maintainable, and reliable code.
- Experience in customizing mobile applications.
- Experience with management libraries - MobX, Redux, etc.
- Understanding the life cycle of a mobile application from development to continuous integration.
- Ability to perform validation and unit testing.
- The ability to quickly navigate the code, both on your own and in someone else's, to find errors and fix them.
Additional advantages will be knowledge of programming languages for mobile devices (Objective-C, Java, and Swift), understanding of monitoring tools (for collecting data on disruptions in work and analytics), mastery of unit testing skills and experience in writing your own modules.
Middle and Senior React Native Developer
When choosing between specialists of the middle and senior level, you should pay attention to the front of the proposed tasks. Yes, the more knowledge, the better, but there is a very large difference in wages between them.
Average specialists in their portfolio have several cases with successful projects, they are suitable for both the position of the developer and the head of the department. They can take full responsibility for the software they run. Key skills include:
- Deployment of mobile applications Google Play Market and App Store
- Ability to work with databases and libraries;
- Integration of third-party services to use the API;
- Ability to optimize the application.
The average salary per year in the United States is $ 95,000.
Senior developers have a richer resume and at least 3 years of experience in React Native, are ready to develop the most complex applications, and can manage a large team. Work skills include:
- Work with internal library and component integration;
- Changing IOS and Android apps to React Native, using Objective-C, Java, and Swift;
- Skills of research, analysis, and global decision-making;
- Ability to present an idea and a desire to integrate something new.
- Continuous integration and delivery;
Average salary per year in the United States - $ 139,000.
All of these skills and tools are essential for the job. Hopefully, you can now easily identify a top-notch React Native talent. When looking for a candidate, deeply study everyone's resume, estimate the amount of work done and participation in other projects.